Our Vision, Mission and Purpose
The Forest Preserve District of DuPage County is a nationally recognized conservation agency that envisions a community in which all citizens share a connection with nature and an appreciation for cultural history.
As mandated by the Illinois Downstate Forest Preserve Act, our mission is "to acquire and hold lands containing forests, prairies, wetlands, and associated plant communities or lands capable of being restored to such natural conditions for the purpose of protecting and preserving the flora, fauna and scenic beauty for the education, pleasure and recreation of its citizens."
To acquire, preserve, protect and restore the natural resources in DuPage County while providing opportunities for people to connect with nature.
The Forest Preserve District is committed to the following principles that guide its actions and decisions:
- Stewardship: The District serves as a responsible steward of the financial and natural resources that have been entrusted to it by the citizens of DuPage County. We adhere to the principle of excellence in all we do and our actions are guided by a basic respect for nature, one another and the communities we serve.
- Sustainability: The District values sustainability from an organizational and environmental perspective. To ensure its long-term ability to continue its mission, the District is guided by a commitment to financial and operational sustainability. The District is also committed to the responsible and sustainable preservation and use of the natural lands, waterways, plant and animal life under its protection for current and future generations.
- Community Engagement: We strive to continuously engage the communities and individuals we serve in an ongoing dialogue and partnership to improve our relationships and foster greater trust and collaboration around common goals.
- Innovation: As a leader in our field we seek innovative ways to integrate new technology, engage our public, respond to changing needs and advance our mission and vision.
- Empowerment: We will provide a supportive working environment that respects and relies upon each individual’s expertise, skills and diversity while encouraging teamwork, creativity and professional development.
- Diversity & Inclusion: We seek to honor and represent the growing diversity within our community in our practices, programs & services, communications and the accessibility of our preserves.
The Forest Preserve District is directed by a newly adopted Strategic Plan 2014 Executive Summary.